Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Focusing on Thinking...

"My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds." - Mel Weldon

I recently finished reading, and rereading again the following week, a book that focuses on gratitude and generosity in every day things, and the impact you can have on others. The book is "One Simple Act" by Debbie Macomber. Since reading it, one of the things I have been trying to do every day is find the positive, the blessing, in every situation.

I'll tell you the first thing I realized - it takes a lot of practice!!! The lessons came at a perfect time for me, the last two weeks being the most stressful I have had in many years. I do think that trying to find the positive in a broken toilet (an opportunity for some good laughter with my daughter while up to my elbows in toilet water), or learning to run our tractor to mow the yard (3 hours of quiet time to myself), have helped me get by. I wish I had read the book earlier this summer before the air conditioning went out in my car...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this book. I totally want to read it now!

    Sorry about your difficult couple of weeks, my friend. But it's getting better and plus, we get to go for a run tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of this book but never read it, thanks for the quick review, it's on my list now.

    And toilet water is usually VERY funny . . . long after the incident!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via your friends blog. I am now following you. I hope you will come follow me too.
    http://traci66.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete